Unfortunately, when it comes to restaurants and commercial kitchens, anywhere that cooking equipment is being used is at an increased risk of a building fire. From fire alarm monitoring to fire sprinklers, it can be pretty confusing to know what fire protection equipment and services are necessary. Kitchen fires are the number one cause of commercial fires in the United States, accounting for about 30% of nonresidential fires. The statistics about restaurant fires in particular from the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) are enough to make any restaurant owner run out and buy more fire protection equipment. Here are the facts about restaurant and bar establishment fires:
- Restaurant fires annually kill 2 civilians on average
- $246 million in direct property damage per year
- 3 out of 5 restaurant fires involve cooking equipment
So how can you mitigate your risk of losing thousands of dollars and endangering employees and guests in a fire emergency. This 2 part series will address the 4 major areas that need to be addressed plus provide some additional useful tips:
- Commercial Fire Alarms
- Portable Fire Extinguishers
- Commercial Kitchen Fire Suppression System
- Commercial Kitchen Fire Suppression System
- Bonus Fire Protection Tips for Restaurants and Commercial Kitchens
Part 1 briefly addressed Commercial Fire Alarms, identified the importance of Portable Fire Extinguishers and emphasized the need for Commercial Kitchen Fire Suppression Systems. Part 2 briefly addresses Building Fire Sprinkler Systems and includes some Bonus Fire Protection Tips for Restaurants and Commercial Kitchens.
Building Fire Sprinkler Systems
Fire sprinkler systems are your last line of defense if an incident were to occur. These systems automatically activate when they reach a certain temperature allowing water to flow and put out a fire.
Bonus Fire Protection Tips for Restaurants and Commercial Kitchens
- Regular testing and inspection – With the proper testing and inspection, you can be confident that your fire protection system will effectively be able to put out a fire.
- Keep cooking appliances clean – This isn’t just for sanitary reasons – the buildup of food particles, oil, and grease can catch on fire.
- Instruct employees not to smoke – Obviously there’s no smoking inside the kitchen, but carelessly flicking a still smoldering cigarette butt outside near the dumpster is also not a great idea. Have a fire safety plan in place with regards to smoking around the building.
- Make the rounds before shutting down – Double check that all appliances are turned off before locking up for the night.
A combination of some, if not all, of the above mentioned fire protection systems are keys to fire safety for a restaurant. The second golden rule is regular testing and inspection of these systems. Don’t be part of the statistics – follow these tips and guidelines to protect your restaurant!
The Jay L Harman Fire Equipment team understands your firefighting needs and is ready to help
Jay L Harman’s DOT Hydrostatic Testing facility and equipment meet all NFPA requirements for the hydrostatic testing of self contained breathing apparatus compressed gas cylinders in addition to testing ABC portable fire extinguisher cylinders.
Jay L Harman is the best and one of the biggest firefighting equipment suppliers and service providers in the region, specializing in fire suppression systems, fire extinguishers, emergency lighting, fire hoses, hydrostatic testing and more. Serving El Paso TX, Las Cruces NM and the surrounding areas, we pride ourselves on buying local and hiring local whenever possible.
Jay L Harman Fire Equipment is your go-to distributor for OVAL low-profile fire extinguishers in West Texas and New Mexico.
Contact Jay L. Harman Fire Equipment in El Paso TX at 915-533-7021 or Las Cruces NM at 575-523-8880..
Since 1925, we have protected businesses throughout the area from the harms and hazards of fires. Every Jay L Harman technician is licensed and regulated by the Texas Department of Insurance State Fire Marshal’s Office. Each of these technicians continually receives the most up-to-date factory training and certifications by our manufacturers. Contact Jay L Harman Fire Equipment today. Let our friendly and knowledgeable staff tell you more about our fire suppression systems and help you find the ideal fire suppression system for your needs. Learn more about our full offering of fire extinguisher training, firefighting services, firefighting products, request a quote, ask a question or request additional information.