We usually don’t think of a fire destroying our business or office building. Typically, we’re worried about more day to day ever present threats such as a downward trending economy, high customer churn rate, the struggle to retain talented employees, legal issues, etc. But the fact is that commercial building fires kill tens of people, injure thousands, and cause millions of dollars in damage.
This 2 part series will address 3 major areas that will help you better understand:
- When Commercial Fires are Most Common
- Most Common Causes of Commercial Building Fires
- How to Prevent a Commercial Building Fire
Part 1 addressed When Commercial Fires are Most Common and the Most Common Causes of Commercial Building Fires. Part 2 addresses How to Prevent a Commercial Building Fire.
How to Prevent a Commercial Building Fire
How well is your business protected from a fire emergency. Are you missing one or more of the following features that could save you thousands of dollars in fire damage and loss.
Fire Suppression and Protection System in Place
- Fire extinguishers – The top cause of commercial building fires is cooking fires, and thankfully, most of these fires are small and contained. A fire extinguisher placed near the kitchen area can give employees the power to stop a small cooking fire from spreading. Make sure your employees are trained in using a few extinguishers.
- Fire alarms – This may sound obvious, but fire alarms are easily overlooked or left with dead batteries because they’re not properly maintained. Not only is a fire alarm system required, but it can save lives and property from damage.
- Commercial fire sprinkler system – A sprinkler system can squelch a potentially deadly fire. Having only 1 or 2 fire sprinkler heads can contain the majority of fires.
Testing and Maintenance
So you have all of the necessary fire protection systems in place. But how well maintained and up-to-date are they? Do you have expired fire extinguishers? Are you following the legal state requirements for getting these systems tested regularly? Make sure you check the local fire code to see what is required of businesses, and set up regular inspections and maintenance.
Install a Commercial Alarm System
No one likes to think that there are people who would intentionally start a fire on their property. Unfortunately, this is a scenario that you need to be prepared for. Invest in a security alarm system that will detect any suspicious activity in the evening hours when the building is most at risk. Keeping the area well-lit at night, or installing motion sensor lights outside, can deter criminal activity.
The Jay L Harman Fire Equipment team understands your firefighting needs and is ready to help
Jay L Harman’s DOT Hydrostatic Testing facility and equipment meet all NFPA requirements for the hydrostatic testing of self contained breathing apparatus compressed gas cylinders in addition to testing ABC portable fire extinguisher cylinders.
Jay L Harman is the best and one of the biggest firefighting equipment suppliers and service providers in the region, specializing in fire suppression systems, fire extinguishers, emergency lighting, fire hoses, hydrostatic testing and more. Serving El Paso TX, Las Cruces NM and the surrounding areas, we pride ourselves on buying local and hiring local whenever possible.
Jay L Harman Fire Equipment is your go-to distributor for OVAL low-profile fire extinguishers in West Texas and New Mexico.
Contact Jay L. Harman Fire Equipment in El Paso TX at 915-533-7021 or Las Cruces NM at 575-523-8880..
Since 1925, we have protected businesses throughout the area from the harms and hazards of fires. Every Jay L Harman technician is licensed and regulated by the Texas Department of Insurance State Fire Marshal’s Office. Each of these technicians continually receives the most up-to-date factory training and certifications by our manufacturers. Contact Jay L Harman Fire Equipment today. Let our friendly and knowledgeable staff tell you more about our fire suppression systems and help you find the ideal fire suppression system for your needs. Learn more about our full offering of fire extinguisher training, firefighting services, firefighting products, request a quote, ask a question or request additional information.