It is important that authorized holders of a Re-qualification Identification Number (RIN) conduct a thorough examination of each DOT portable cylinder as part of re-qualification. Two non-destructive test methods are generally used for re-qualification: hydrostatic testing and ultrasonic examination. Ultrasonic Examination offers several advantages to equipment operators and is the preferred re-qualification methodology because it requires access to only the outer surface of the material, provides deep penetration and has high sensitivity.
Key reasons for utilizing ultrasonic examination
- Reliable and Useful Test Data: The ultrasonic examination equipment locates and quantifies flaw size and accurately measures wall thickness.
- Minimum Down Time: Ultrasonic examination testing can be done without draining the gas product out of the cylinders. After the test, the cylinders can immediately be returned to service without the wasted steps required when hydrostatic testing.
- Limited Risk of Contamination: Ultrasonic examination eliminates the need for valve removal and internal visual inspection, thus allowing the cylinder to be tested with residual product.
- Inexpensive: Quick testing and zero risk of contamination minimize downtime.
- Test Integrity: Ultrasonic examination has been used on pressure vessels for over 20 years without incident. Ultrasonic examination complies with re-qualification requirements of the United States Department of Transportation (DOT). Ultrasonic examination is also recognized by ISO standards and other international regulatory bodies.
The Jay L Harman Fire Equipment team understands your fire fighting and cylinder re-qualification needs and is ready to help
Jay L Harman’s DOT Hydrostatic Testing and Ultrasonic Examination facility and equipment meet all NFPA requirements for the hydrostatic testing and Ultrasonic Examination of compressed gas cylinders and portable fire extinguisher cylinders.
Jay L Harman Fire Equipment Company is your local AMEREX dealer offering the full range of AMEREX Fire Extinguishers, Kitchen Protection systems, Vehicle Systems, Automatic Gas Detection and Industrial Systems.
Jay L Harman is the best and one of the biggest firefighting equipment suppliers and service providers in the region, specializing in fire suppression systems, fire extinguishers, emergency lighting, fire hoses, hydrostatic testing and more. Serving El Paso TX, Las Cruces NM and the surrounding areas, we pride ourselves on buying local and hiring local whenever possible.
Jay L Harman Fire Equipment is your go-to distributor for OVAL low-profile fire extinguishers in West Texas and New Mexico.
Contact Jay L. Harman Fire Equipment in El Paso TX at 915-533-7021 or Las Cruces NM at 575-523-8880..
Since 1925, we have protected businesses throughout the area from the harms and hazards of fires. Every Jay L Harman technician is licensed and regulated by the Texas Department of Insurance State Fire Marshal’s Office. Each of these technicians continually receives the most up-to-date factory training and certifications by our manufacturers. Contact Jay L Harman Fire Equipment today. Let our friendly and knowledgeable staff tell you more about our fire suppression systems and help you find the ideal fire suppression system for your needs. Learn more about our full offering of fire extinguisher training, firefighting services, firefighting products, request a quote, ask a question or request additional information.