Ultrasonic testing provides tremendous advantages over hydrostatic testing. These advantages include financial savings, cylinder integrity, environmental benefits, enhanced safety, and maintenance of product integrity in the cylinders. Ultrasonic testing is no longer a new, unproven concept in cylinder testing; it has been in the field for over fifteen years and has become the preferred test method of all major industrial gas companies and re-testers. Ultrasonic testing requires no product loss, no contamination from effluent, elimination of valve wear, improved asset utilization and lower labor cost. Ultrasonic evaluation of portable cylinders offers cost savings compared to hydrostatic testing as a result of quick turnaround, reduced handling and trucking, elimination of product loss and improved asset utilization
Jay L Harman Fire Equipment Company is approved by the United States Department of Transportation (DOT) to perform ultrasonic testing of high and low pressure DOT gas cylinders in lieu of hydrostatic testing. This proven technology offers an alternative to traditional hydrostatic testing and eliminates the need for the valve to be removed for an internal inspection of the cylinder, making it cost efficient to re-qualify your compressed gas cylinders.
Key advantages of ultrasonic evaluation include:
- More accurate test method using direct measurement of wall thickness
- Allows re-qualification without removing the valve, eliminating the wear on the valve, thus extending the valve’s life and reducing valve replacement costs
- Eliminates the possibility of product contamination in the cylinder and removes the need to dry the internal vessel
- Eliminates product loss or disposal and recovery costs
- The problem of corrosion resulting from water introduced during the hydrostatic testing process is eliminated
- Faster turnaround with less time required to test, eliminating the number of cylinders out of service
- Reduced risk of human error in test process, especially involving internal visual inspections, finding cracks and corrosion possibly missed
- Eliminates the need to dispose of a cylinder’s test water and contents into the environment
- Environmental hazards are reduced since gases are not drained from the cylinder prior to retesting; contaminated effluents are not released to the sewer system
The Jay L Harman Fire Equipment team understands your firefighting needs and is ready to help
Jay L Harman Fire Equipment Company is your local AMEREX dealer offering the full range of AMEREX Fire Extinguishers, Kitchen Protection systems, Vehicle Systems, Automatic Gas Detection and Industrial Systems.
Jay L Harman’s DOT Hydrostatic Testing and Ultrasonic Evaluation facility and equipment meet all NFPA requirements for the hydrostatic testing and Ultrasonic Evaluation of self contained breathing apparatus compressed gas cylinders in addition to testing ABC portable fire extinguisher cylinders.
Jay L Harman is the best and one of the biggest firefighting equipment suppliers and service providers in the region, specializing in fire suppression systems, fire extinguishers, emergency lighting, fire hoses, hydrostatic testing and more. Serving El Paso TX, Las Cruces NM and the surrounding areas, we pride ourselves on buying local and hiring local whenever possible.
Jay L Harman Fire Equipment is your go-to distributor for OVAL low-profile fire extinguishers in West Texas and New Mexico.
Since 1925, we have protected businesses throughout the area from the harms and hazards of fires. Every Jay L Harman technician is licensed and regulated by the Texas Department of Insurance State Fire Marshal’s Office. Each of these technicians continually receives the most up-to-date factory training and certifications by our manufacturers. Contact Jay L Harman Fire Equipment today. Let our friendly and knowledgeable staff tell you more about our fire suppression systems and help you find the ideal fire suppression system for your needs. Learn more about our full offering of fire extinguisher training, firefighting services, firefighting products, request a quote, ask a question or request additional information.