Ultrasonic Examination is the most popular and reliable test method for portable cylinders and offers several advantages. Ultrasonic Examination eliminates the need for valve removal and internal visual inspection, thus allowing the cylinder to be tested with residual product.
DOT pressure vessels (cylinders) require periodic inspections to evaluate the integrity and safety of each vessel. After years in use, it is important that approved facilities conduct a thorough examination of each cylinder. Hydrostatic testing and ultrasonic examination are the two test methods generally used to re-qualify cylinders.
Advantages of Ultrasonic Examination
- Ultrasonic Examination provides reliable and useful test data. The ultrasonic examination equipment locates and quantifies flaw size and accurately measures wall thickness.
- Ultrasonic Examination minimizes downtime. Ultrasonic Evaluation testing can be done without draining the gas product out of the cylinders. After the test, the cylinders can be returned to service immediately without the wasted steps required when hydrostatic testing.
- Ultrasonic Examination reduces the risk of contamination. Ultrasonic Evaluation eliminates the need for valve removal and internal visual inspection, thus allowing the cylinder to be tested with residual product.
- Ultrasonic Examination is quick and inexpensive. Quick testing and zero risk of contamination minimize downtime.
- Ultrasonic Evaluation has been used on pressure vessels (cylinders) for over 20 years without incident.
- Ultrasonic Evaluation complies with requalification requirements of the United States Department of Transportation (DOT).
- Ultrasonic Evaluation is also recognized by ISO standards and other international regulatory bodies.
Ultrasonic Examination Methodology
Ultrasonic examination uses high frequency sound energy for detection / evaluation of flaws and for dimensional measurements. The Ultrasonic Evaluation transducer creates a high frequency sound wave that travels through the test material. When the wave encounters the material’s boundary or a discontinuity (i.e. flaw) the wave is reflected back to the sensor. The benefits of Ultrasonic Examination are that it requires access to only the outer surface of the cylinder, it has high sensitivity and deep penetration. Ultrasonic Examination utilizes two directional sound waves. The Longitudinal Waves are directed straight down into the material at a 90° angle. These waves measure wall thickness and locate defects oriented perpendicular to the sound wave. In addition Shear Waves enter the material at a 45° angle. If no flaw exists the sound wave will not reflect back to the sensor. These waves locate defects in the material in any orientation. DUltrasonic Evaluation to the refraction of the sound wave, the transducer does not need to be directly over the defect. This allows the technician to inspect sections of the material that are difficult to access. Ultrasonic Evaluation cylinder submersion systems utilize a 7-channel system with 2 longitudinal, 2 transverse, 2 oblique and 1 thickness sensor. These channels will identify anomalies such as cracks, folds, wall thinning, pitting and general corrosion.
The Jay L Harman Fire Equipment team understands your firefighting needs and is ready to help
Jay L Harman Fire Equipment Company is your local AMEREX dealer offering the full range of AMEREX Fire Extinguishers, Kitchen Protection systems, Vehicle Systems, Automatic Gas Detection and Industrial Systems.
Jay L Harman’s DOT Hydrostatic Testing and Ultrasonic Evaluation facility and equipment meet all NFPA requirements for the hydrostatic testing and Ultrasonic Evaluation of self contained breathing apparatus compressed gas cylinders in addition to testing ABC portable fire extinguisher cylinders.
Jay L Harman is the best and one of the biggest firefighting equipment suppliers and service providers in the region, specializing in fire suppression systems, fire extinguishers, emergency lighting, fire hoses, hydrostatic testing and more. Serving El Paso TX, Las Cruces NM and the surrounding areas, we pride ourselves on buying local and hiring local whenever possible.
Jay L Harman Fire Equipment is your go-to distributor for OVAL low-profile fire extinguishers in West Texas and New Mexico.
Since 1925, we have protected businesses throughout the area from the harms and hazards of fires. Every Jay L Harman technician is licensed and regulated by the Texas Department of Insurance State Fire Marshal’s Office. Each of these technicians continually receives the most up-to-date factory training and certifications by our manufacturers. Contact Jay L Harman Fire Equipment today. Let our friendly and knowledgeable staff tell you more about our fire suppression systems and help you find the ideal fire suppression system for your needs. Learn more about our full offering of fire extinguisher training, firefighting services, firefighting products, request a quote, ask a question or request additional information.