Ultrasonic Examination is the most popular and reliable test method for portable cylinders and offers several advantages. Ultrasonic Examination eliminates the need for valve removal and internal visual inspection, thus allowing the cylinder to be tested with residual product.
Hydrostatic testing and ultrasonic examination are the two test methods generally used to re-qualify cylinders.
Test Procedure Steps For Performing Ultrasonic Examination
There are eight (8) principal steps to performing an Ultrasonic Examination of a portable cylinder. The following summarizes each of these steps:
- Visually Inspect the Cylinder Per Applicable CGA Pamphlet – Prior to re-qualifying the cylinder it must pass a thorough visual inspection.
- Select the Calibration Cylinder – The proper calibration cylinder is selected based on the cylinder diameter and must be manufactured from an acoustically similar material as the test cylinder.
- Select the Calibration File – The proper calibration file is selected based on the calibration cylinder.
- Run Calibration Test (Calibrate In) – Load the calibration cylinder onto the test table and run the calibration test. Recalibration is required after 200 cycles, 4 hours of testing, the end of the shift, the completion of tests for a designated cylinder size, an equipment change or if the operators change.
- Review the Calibration Results – The operator must review the on-screen results window and the system print out. All of the machined notches must be found for the calibration results to be accepted. If all of the notches are not found, adjustments will need to be made to transducer sensitivity and C-scan gate placement. Once the test system is calibrated properly, the results are saved and the operator can proceed with the test
- Cylinder Testing – The first cylinder is loaded onto the test table and the appropriate test file is selected. One or more cylinders can be tested as long as they share the same diameter and material composition.
- Re-run Calibration (Calibrate Out) – After testing is completed, the operator must close the test file, re-open the calibration file and re-run the calibration cylinder. If the system is unable to calibrate out successfully the results of the cylinders tested between the calibration in and the failed calibration out are invalid and the entire batch will need to be retested.
- Cylinder Stamping and Daily Test Reports – The cylinders pass their periodic re-qualification once the system calibrates out properly. Next the cylinders are stamped to mark the test date, the re-qualification company and the method of the test inspection. At the conclusion of the shift, the operator must upload the test results onto a Daily Test Log and submit it to a Level III Ultrasonic Evaluation tester for data review, cylinder tracking and filing.
The Jay L Harman Fire Equipment team understands your firefighting needs and is ready to help
Jay L Harman Fire Equipment Company is your local AMEREX dealer offering the full range of AMEREX Fire Extinguishers, Kitchen Protection systems, Vehicle Systems, Automatic Gas Detection and Industrial Systems.
Jay L Harman’s DOT Hydrostatic Testing and Ultrasonic Evaluation facility and equipment meet all NFPA requirements for the hydrostatic testing and Ultrasonic Evaluation of self contained breathing apparatus compressed gas cylinders in addition to testing ABC portable fire extinguisher cylinders.
Jay L Harman is the best and one of the biggest firefighting equipment suppliers and service providers in the region, specializing in fire suppression systems, fire extinguishers, emergency lighting, fire hoses, hydrostatic testing and more. Serving El Paso TX, Las Cruces NM and the surrounding areas, we pride ourselves on buying local and hiring local whenever possible.
Jay L Harman Fire Equipment is your go-to distributor for OVAL low-profile fire extinguishers in West Texas and New Mexico.
Since 1925, we have protected businesses throughout the area from the harms and hazards of fires. Every Jay L Harman technician is licensed and regulated by the Texas Department of Insurance State Fire Marshal’s Office. Each of these technicians continually receives the most up-to-date factory training and certifications by our manufacturers. Contact Jay L Harman Fire Equipment today. Let our friendly and knowledgeable staff tell you more about our fire suppression systems and help you find the ideal fire suppression system for your needs. Learn more about our full offering of fire extinguisher training, firefighting services, firefighting products, request a quote, ask a question or request additional information.