As a commercial fire equipment company, we are often asked, “Is it acceptable for a businesses to perform their own monthly fire extinguisher inspections?” The simple answer is, yes.
Frequently, professional fire equipment companies are hired to perform monthly fire extinguisher inspections for businesses simply because we help minimize the business interruption. Also, we are able to ensure that those inspections are completed accurately.
If you’ve been thinking about doing inspections, there’s a couple of things you’re going to have to have. One of those things is a complete list of your fire extinguishers that indicates where they are located and what type they are.
Monthly Fire Extinguisher Inspections
Below is a list of 8 major steps that must be accomplished to properly perform your own monthly fire extinguishers.
- The very first thing you need to do is to make sure each fire extinguisher has a valid maintenance tag on it.
- The second thing is to make sure that the fire extinguisher is “in the green,” meaning it is charged and ready for use. Not every fire extinguisher has a pressure gage. For example, cartridge-operated extinguisher have an indicator. For these type fire extinguishers, you need to make sure that the indicator is not up and charged, meaning you must ensure it is actually depressed. Another type of fire extinguisher that doesn’t have a gage is the CO2 (carbon dioxide) extinguisher. In order to make sure that the extinguisher is full it must be weighed making sure that the weight is the same as the weight that was recorded on the tag.
- You must ensure that each fire extinguisher is not blocked or obscured from visibility.
- Next, make sure that the tamper seal is on the extinguisher, that it’s holding the pin in firmly, and that it hasn’t been damaged.
- Nameplates must be visible and facing outwards.
- Look for physical damage on each fire extinguisher making sure that it wasn’t knocked off the wall paying close attention to the hose.
- Lastly, sign and date the inspection tag.
These are the major steps that must be accomplished when performing your own monthly fire extinguisher inspection. We hope this helped. For more useful tips contact Jay L Harman Fire Equipment Company.
The Jay L Harman Fire Equipment team understands your firefighting needs and is ready to help
Jay L Harman is the best and one of the biggest firefighting equipment suppliers and servicers in the region, specializing in fire suppression systems, fire extinguishers, emergency lighting, fire fighting protective gear, fire hoses and more. Serving El Paso TX, Las Cruces NM and the surrounding areas, we pride ourselves on buying local and hiring local whenever possible.
Contact Jay L. Harman Fire Equipment in El Paso TX at 915-533-7021 or Las Cruces NM at 575-523-8880. Since 1925, we have protected businesses throughout the area from the harms and hazards of fires. Every Jay L Harman technician is licensed and regulated by the Texas Department of Insurance State Fire Marshal’s Office. Each of these technicians continually receives the most up-to-date factory training and certifications by our manufacturers. Contact Jay L Harman Fire Equipment today. Let our friendly and knowledgeable staff tell you more about our fire suppression systems and help you find the ideal fire suppression system for your needs. Learn more about our full offering of fire extinguisher training, firefighting services, firefighting products, request a quote, ask a question or request additional information.